Sunday, July 29, 2012

Shenandoah Mountains

 

This summer my daughter and I had the much needed chance to get away for a week to Virginia and take in some of the beauty of the state.

S_Sawmill_Run_Overlook Sawmill Run Overlook
The Shenandoah Mountain range is so beautiful. While we were there it was hot and steamy so the mountain range is hazy in some of the pictures.

S_Turk_Gap
Turk Cap Overlook

S_Moormans_River
Moormans River

S_Turk_Gap_MtLaurel2
The Mountains were beautiful with many native plants and bushes in bloom. Some of them were new to me and interesting.

S_Mountain_Laurel
Mountain Laurels dotted the hillsides with there beauty.

S_MountainLaurel2

S_BlueLobelia_Butterfly2
Butterflies of all  kinds were in abundance flitting from flower to flower.

S_Butterfly3_Lobelia

 

S_Bowmans_Root 
With some of the plants I had to get help in their identifications from some nice friends on Garden Chat.

S_Gillenia_trifoliata_BowmansRoot3
Like this Bowmans Root. The white fan like blooms show brightly along the roadway.

S_CowParsnip_IndianCelery4
Patches of Cow Parsnip or Indian Celery were so fabulous to see.
I would love a stand of these along my woodland bed.

S_CowParsnip_IndianCelery3
Indian Celery-Cow Parsnip

S_Elderberry_Blooms
Elderberry bushes were a live with bees of all sizes.

S_Goatsbeard_Unknown
Along the shady roadsides Goats Beard  lighted up the shade.

S_Goatsbeard_Unknown2

S_Wineberry_Rubus_phoenicolasius2_Sm
This fuzzy  plant is Wineberry Rubus phoenicolasius. I found it sticky and fascinating.

S_Wineberry_Rubus_phoenicolasius

S_Ragwort_Yellow2
This one I think may be a Ragwort but I am certain someone can correct me if I am in error.

S_RagwortYellow

S_Red_Columbine 
Native Columbines or Aquileia

S_Red_Columbine2 

S_SawmillRun_Milkweeds
Plenty of Milkweed were growing and blooming for the Monarchs that would be showing up.

S_Sawmill_Run_MilkweedBlooms

S_Trifolium dubium_YellowShamrock Golden Shamrock  Trifolium dubium

S_Yellow_Salsify_Oysterplant2
And I loved this giant puff ball that reminded me of giant Dandelion seeds.

S_Yellow_Salsify_Oysterplant5
Yellow Salsify or Oyster Plant.

S_BlueLobelia_Butterfly3

No comments:

Post a Comment

" In Nature the Hand of God is Shown Daily"

Thank you for dropping by.