Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Northern Flicker

 

Northern_Flicker

I caught this bird out of the corner of my eye the
other day. At first glance I thought it was just a
woodpecker until I saw the bright yellow under the
tail feathers and wing tips then I had to take another look.
This is the first time I have ever had a Northern Flicker
at the birdfeeder so it was an exciting event for me.
Thankfully it stayed long enough for me to get a
few pictures of it.

 

Northern_Flicker2

 

 

Northern_Flicker3

Northern_Flicker4

The bright red V marking on its head is beautiful
as is the bright yellow tips of the wings.

Northern_Flicker5

5 comments:

  1. I love these birds. I mean, how can you not love a polka dotted bird? We have a lot of them here in the Pacific NW. I find they truly love the suet I put out for them and in the spring they bring their young to the feeders. It is such a delight to watch them teach the little ones how to find food. Hopefully this one will bring some feathered family to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, you caught him unaware and candid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeSan: Thanks for the info on the Flickers.I cannot put out suet because the raccoons gets it all. That was the first time I had had them to my feeder so I was fascinated by them. The colors are so unusual.

    Laurrie: I was just hoping at the time he would stay around long enough to photograph. Usually by the time I break my neck getting the camera they have flown. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a well trained or obliging bird to let you get all those superb shots! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catmint I would have even bribed him to stay until I got the picture if it had been possible.;-)

    ReplyDelete

" In Nature the Hand of God is Shown Daily"

Thank you for dropping by.